This granite monolith was sculpted in a quarry in Rivière-à-Pierre, in the Portneuf region. This monument is a gift from the Canadian government to Gaspé for the 400th anniversary celebrations of Jacques Cartier’s arrival in 1934.
Delivered by boat, the monument is first installed in a park on de la Reine Street. In 1979, it is moved near the Christ-Roi cathedral. In 2012, the monument is installed on the O’Hara Point site.
This monument recalls the action taken by the French explorer Jacques Cartier at the time of the claim of the territory that will then become the New France.